A brief description of Valium:
Valium 10 mg has a tremendous application in the management of anxiety disorders and short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety. It is safely and effectively used in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal symptoms and muscle spasms. Sometimes, Valium is also used together with other medications to treat seizures. It encloses of a generic drug known as Diazepam.
Mechanism of action of Valium:
Valium comes under the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. It shows its action mechanism by binding to the GABAᴀ receptors and therefore increases the effects of GABA (neurotransmitter). Binding of GABA neurotransmitter to the receptors unlock the chloride channel that results in the hyperpolarization of the cell membrane, which further causes excitation of the cell. This results in the reduction of the hyperactivity of the brain and produces calmness in the brain.
The dosage regimen of Valium:
Valium 10mg is commercially accessible in a tablet dosage form. If a patient is suffering from anxiety disorder, then the patient should administer 2mg to 10mg of Valium via the oral route 2 to 4 times a day, with plenty of water. The dose of Valium for giving relief from acute alcohol withdrawal symptoms: A person should take 10mg of Valium 3 or 4 times during the first 24 hours, reducing to 5 mg, 3 or 4 times daily as needed. The dose of Valium for providing relief from Skeletal Muscle Spasm and epileptic seizures: A patient should consume 2mg to 10mg of Valium orally 2 to 4 times daily, with ample quantity of water.
Contraindications of Valium:
A patient allergic or hypersensitive to Valium or any other ingredients present in Valium should not take this medication.
Precautions while taking Valium:
- A patient should not use this medicine for longer than 4 months without consulting a doctor as Valium is used for a short-term therapy.
- Consumption of alcohol or sleeping aids should be avoided while taking Valium medication.
- If you have a history of mental illness, suicidal thoughts or behavior, or depression, then talk to your doctor before using Valium medication.
- Valium is a habit-forming medication, so do not misuse this medicine; otherwise, it may cause addiction or overdose.
- If you have a history of drug or alcohol addiction, then do not use Valium without consulting your doctor.
Side effects of Valium:
Some common side effects of Valium include a cough dark urine, dizziness, restlessness, diarrhea, headache, nausea, sleepiness, and tiredness.