What is the use of Ambien 10mg?
Ambien is one of the most commonly used medications that are commonly used for the management of sleep problems (Insomnia- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep) in adults. The use of this therapy will help you to fall asleep as well as stay asleep too. The active ingredient present in the medication is Zolpidem that can be used orally as per the need. Generic Zolpidem also has significant role in managing wake up in the middle of the night and then have trouble sleeping.
What is the mechanism of action of Ambien?
Ambien (Zolpidem) falls under the category of medication called as sedative-hypnotics. It modulates the alpha-subunit within the GABAA receptor chloride channel macromolecular complex and regulates the entrance of chloride in the postsynaptic cells. Therefore, it slows the activity in the brain to allow sleep.
What is the dosing regimen of Ambien?
The normally used dose of Ambien is 10mg available as solid dosage form therefore take it orally with full glass of water. Take the medication when you have to sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours. You should never use more than recommended dose of this medication as it can cause harmful effects. The dose can be changed as per the need of patients.
What are the contraindications of Ambien?
- If you are allergic to any ingredient in Ambien or Zolpidem then you should not use the medication.
- It is necessary to consult the doctor if you are suffering from bronchitis, emphysema, kidney disease and liver disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- You should not use Itraconazole or Ketoconazole, Chlorpromazine, Rifampin, Imipramine, and Sertraline along with this medication.
What are the side effects of Ambien?
Some common unwished effects such as daytime tired feeling, loss of coordination, dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, feeling "drugged" or light-headed, stuffy nose, nose or throat irritation, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, upset stomach, headache, muscle pain.
Precautions while using Ambien:
- This is a habit-forming medication thus do not use it for prolonged time without discussing the doctor.
- You must avoid consumption of alcohol along with this medication to avoid unwanted effects.
- Keep away from intake of this medication if you do not have a full 7 to 8 hours.
- Never suddenly stop intake of Ambien.